If you enjoy apple or berry crisp, you’ll love this appleberry combination that uses both apples and blueberries. This recipe uses a small amount of sugar that can be replaced with local honey.
- 4 medium sized apples, peeled and diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine apples, blueberries, half the brown sugar, vanilla, and cornstarch. Place mixture into a 2 quart (2 L) baking dish.
- In a second bowl, combine rolled oats, wheat germ, canola oil, cinnamon, and remaining brown sugar. Sprinkle crumb mixture over fruit.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until fruit is bubbly. Remove from oven.
Pear-rhubarb breakfast crisp
This hearty breakfast bake highlights in-season Anjous in a more healthful take on warm fruit crisp, with a crunchy, granola-like topping. It’s positively delicious with a big spoonful of creamy Greek yogurt.See recipe About Pear-rhubarb breakfast crisp
Wheat berry and apple salad
See recipe About Wheat berry and apple salad
Crustless apple & roasted fennel quiche
Fennel offers a sweet and mellow flavour that complements the apples beautifully in this easy breakfast or brunch dish.See recipe About Crustless apple & roasted fennel quiche