Tomato and Black Bean Salad
A very tasty and satisfying luncheon salad
- 4 cups (1 L) mixed salad greens
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed (or ⅔ cup/150 mL dried beans)
- 1½ cups (325 mL) shredded light Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked corn kernels
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped tomato ¼ cup (50 mL) each chopped red onion and cucumber
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped fresh coriander or parsley ¼ cup (50 mL) balsamic or light vinaigrette
- Salsa (optional)
- Divide greens equally among 4 salad plates.
- In microwave-safe casserole, heat beans on high (100%) for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Divide warm beans, cheese, corn, tomato, onion, cucumber, coriander and vinaigrette equally overtop each salad.
- Add salsa, if using.
This salad recipe has been adapted from "Choice Menus" (HarperCollins Canada) by Marjorie Hollands and Margaret Howard in cooperation with the Canadian Diabetes Association.
It makes enough to serve four or divides easily when serving two.
Kale, beet & chickpea power bowls
Get energized with this power bowl! The dressing also makes for a great dip.See recipe About Kale, beet & chickpea power bowls
Japanese sesame slaw
This colourful salad offers tangy flavour and crunch, much lighter than a classic coleslaw.See recipe About Japanese sesame slaw
Greek lentil salad
A hearty salad bursting with flavour that has high fibre and a low glycemic index.See recipe About Greek lentil salad