With a light coconut lime flavour, this recipe features green beans, bell peppers and zucchini.
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated ginger juice of one medium sized lime
- 1½ (20 mL) Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 12 oz (85 g) 1 block of firm or extra firm tofu, diced into cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) light coconut milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) green beans, cut in 2 inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh cilantro
- In a bowl, marinate tofu with the ginger, lime juice and ½ Tbsp (7 mL) canola oil. Toss well to coat. Thiscan be done about 30 minutes ahead of time and up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a large saucepan, no lid required, heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Add onion and cook forabout 6 minutes or until softened and slightly browned. Add garlic, cumin and cloves and stir for 2minutes.
- To saucepan, add stock and coconut milk. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until slightlythickened.
- Add green beans, bell pepper and zucchini and cook for about 10 minutes more or until vegetables aretender. Add marinated tofu and cook an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Serve oversteamed brown rice or quinoa, if desired.
Carbohydrate exchange information 1 Meat & Alternative Choice 1 Fat Choice
Yield: 8 servings Serving Size: 1 cup (250 mL)
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org
Spinach & mushroom barley pilaf
This barley pilaf makes a nice light meal on its own, or a delicious side.See recipe About Spinach & mushroom barley pilaf
Curried lentils & vegetables
A simple, yet richly flavoured dish. Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown rice or millet.See recipe About Curried lentils & vegetables
Root vegetable mash with coriander
This side dish is a great alternative to your traditional side of potatoes! The spice blend makes it pleasantly hot and delicious.See recipe About Root vegetable mash with coriander