The Professional Section of Diabetes Canada established the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007 for the purpose of recognizing Canadian achievement for a lifetime commitment to research excellence. The award is bestowed upon a prominent Canadian MD or PhD medical scientist who is recognized and nominated by his/her peers for longstanding contribution to the Canadian diabetes community and a leader in diabetes research. The award consists of a personalized plaque, a cash award and travel and accommodation to attend the presentation ceremony.
The significance of the award is recognized by special lecture delivered by the distinguished award recipient.
A nominee must:
- Be an MD or PhD who is either a Canadian citizen or resident of Canada;
- Have demonstrated career commitment to hew knowledge and discovery in diabetes research and;
- Have contributed significantly to the Canadian diabetes community through the commitment of time, skill and/or wisdom
A nomination must:
- Be made by two members of the professional section of Diabetes Canada and/or The National Research Council;
- Include a completed application form, the nominee's current CV and a minimum of two letters of support outlining the suitability of the nominee for the award; and
- Nominations will stand for three years
Nominations will be reviewed by a commitee of past Lifetime Achievement Award receipients under the direction of the Nomination and Awards pf the Professional Section Executives of Diabetes Canada.
Deadline for nominations
All nominations are to be submitted by April 30, 2019.