The Diabetes Educator of the Year award recognizes a health-care professional who has made special contributions to diabetes education through dedication, sensitivity and innovation in the daily practice of patient education and care. The award recipient has demonstrated a responsibility to:
- Continually strive to improve the quality of diabetes education
- Be current in their knowledge and skills regards diabetes education
- Respect the choices made by individuals affected by diabetes Standard for Diabetes Education in Canada 2009
- Be a Professional Member of Diabetes Canada for a minimum of five years with at least five years of diabetes related experience
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
Note: Members of the Awards Committee and the Co-Chair of the Awards and Membership Portfolio are not eligible to apply.
- Application must be typed or submitted in electronic format (i.e. PDF) on official forms
- One current copy of the applicant's curriculum vitae
- Submit a head shot (high-resolution JPG, 300 dpi, 4 x 6 inch)
Letters of recommendation
Application must include two letters of remmendation (Healthcare Professional, Community, Academic, Clinical etc.) attesting to the specific attributes of the applicant.
Letter should include details of:
- How you know the applicant and for how long?
- A description of the individual's involvement, interest and commitment of diabetes education and has made an overall difference in the lives' of people living with diabetes
- Personal characteristics that make this applicant uniquely qualified for this distinction
- A specific instance that highlights why you think the applicant should receive this award
The decision to grant the award annually is at the discretion of the Awards Committee. The committee reserves the right to not grant the award in any given year if a suitable candidate is not identified. All decisions of the Awards Committee are final and not appealable.
The recipient will be notified by the Awards Committee in sufficient time so they can arrange to attend the presentation ceremony at the Annual Professional Conference. All applicants will be notified of their application status. Unsuccessful candidates are encouraged to re-submit their application for the following year.
Deadline for the award is May 28, 2021.