Beef, beans, and wild rice salad
A delicious chili-like, wild rice salad packed with nutrients. A delicious way to warm up on a cold night.
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced white mushrooms
- 3 cups (750 mL) whole small okra (fresh or frozen), cut into 1/2" pieces
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) tomato paste
- 1- 19 oz (540 mL) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-19 oz (540 mL) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) wild rice
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) beef stock
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add canola oil.
- Cook ground beef until browned and juices run clear. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, red pepper and mushrooms to the pan. Cook vegetables with ground beef until soft. Add okra and tomatoes, tomato paste, white kidney beans, black beans, wild rice, beef stock, and seasonings. Gently stir to combine ingredients.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to low and simmer over low heat until rice is cooked, about 50-60 minutes, Remove lid for last 10 minutes of cooking time. Add extra beef stock as needed.
“In anticipation of our farm’s busy season, I often seek out quick and healthy meal ideas so I can plan ahead. One strategy I rely on is making meals in big batches ahead of time and freezing them; that way, we’re halfway to a home-cooked supper any night of the week.
One of my favourite places to look for recipe inspiration is the Canola Eat Well website, where I can find lots of recipes featuring Canadian ingredients. As a farmer, I take pride in using Canadian ingredients in my kitchen whenever possible, especially when they’re grown on our own farm. This Beef, beans and wild rice salad is the perfect meal to bring along for lunch or dinner during a long day of seeding canola or wheat. Plus, it’s packed with some of my favourite Canadian ingredients!”
Black Bean Lentil Salad with Chili-Lime Vinaigrette
The black beans and lentils make this salad high in fibre and protein. The chili-lime vinaigrette adds a punch of flavour that will leave you wanting more!See recipe About Black Bean Lentil Salad with Chili-Lime Vinaigrette
Chicken and White Bean Stew
Cannellini beans add fibre and protein to this easy one-pot chicken stew.See recipe About Chicken and White Bean Stew
This spicy vegetarian dish is made healthier with the use of canola oil, which has the least saturated fat of all common cooking oils.See recipe About Chana masala