Skillet Chicken Breasts with Tomatoes and Olives
The chicken is baked until tender and juicy in the Mediterranean-inspired tomato sauce, which is lovely when served over your favourite whole-grain pasta or rice. A squeeze of fresh lemon is the perfect finishing touch.
- 4 (8 oz./250 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chicken stock or water
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 can (14 oz./398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) pitted kalamata olives
- 2 cups (500 mL) cherry tomatoes (red, yellow and orange, if possible)
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary and/or thyme
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towel, and season on both sides with pepper.
- Warm the canola oil in a 12-inch (30 cm) oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken for about 5 minutes per side. The chicken will release easily from the pan when it’s ready to be flipped. Remove the chicken from the skillet and keep warm on a plate.
- Stir the sliced onion and garlic into the pan. If the pan is too dry, add another teaspoon (5 mL) of canola oil. Stir for a few minutes, until fragrant. Add the chicken stock or water and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes, red pepper, and olives. Nestle in the chicken breasts. Top with the cherry tomatoes and tuck in the sprigs of herbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a meat thermometer registers 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the breast.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, letting the chicken rest for a few minutes. Serve the chicken and sauce over whole-grain pasta, brown rice, quinoa, or couscous. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Boston bibb turkey tacos with Asian pear, beet and fennel slaw
You had me at tacos! This fresh take on a traditional taco is sure to be a family favourite.See recipe About Boston bibb turkey tacos with Asian pear, beet and fennel slaw
Oven-Roasted Salmon with Sriracha and Lime
This simple supper is delicious and is even quicker than takeout.See recipe About Oven-Roasted Salmon with Sriracha and Lime
Moroccan eggplant & tomato
Loaded with flavour this dish can be served as a main or as a side - so versatile!See recipe About Moroccan eggplant & tomato