Homemade cauliflower soup is really very easy to make, and the result is wonderful.
- 2 cups cauliflower florets 500 mL
- ½ cup chopped celery 125 mL
- 1½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth 375 mL
- 1 cup evaporated 2% milk 250 mL
- Pinch freshly ground white pepper Pinch
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced 1
- In a saucepan, combine cauliflower, celery and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to blender (or use immersion blender in saucepan) and puree untilsmooth. Return soup to saucepan (if necessary) and stir in milk and white pepper. Heat over mediumheat, stirring occasionally, until hot (do not let boil).
- Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with green onion.
Makes about 3 cups, serving size ¾ cup (175 mL)
Recipe reprinted with permission from Canada’s 250 Essential Diabetes Recipes, Sharon Zeiler, RobertRose Inc., 2011, http://www.robertrose.ca
Quinoa, black bean & mango salad
Quinoa is a nutritious grain and is a source of fibre that makes a fantastic base for a salad.See recipe About Quinoa, black bean & mango salad
Curried lentils & vegetables
A simple, yet richly flavoured dish. Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown rice or millet.See recipe About Curried lentils & vegetables
Root vegetable mash with coriander
This side dish is a great alternative to your traditional side of potatoes! The spice blend makes it pleasantly hot and delicious.See recipe About Root vegetable mash with coriander