This is a great one-dish meal
It’s packed with tons of flavour, is quick to make, and even quicker to clean up. Switch the pork with chicken for variety!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 12-oz. (350 g) pork tenderloin, cut into ½-in. (1-cm) slices
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onions
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oz. (170 g) fresh or frozen and thawed okra, cut into ½-in. (1-cm) slices
- 1 can (14 oz./398 mL) no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) dried thyme leaves
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped parsley or green onion
- 2 tsp (10 mL) hot sauce
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook pork for 3 minutes or until slightly pink in centre, stirring occasionally. Set aside on separate plate.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and cook onions and peppers for 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to lightly brown on edges. Stir in garlic and cook for 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in okra, tomatoes, thyme, and cooked pork. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in parsley, hot sauce, and salt. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb flavours.
- Serve the pork and okra mixture over rice.
The pork in this recipe can be switched with the same amount of boneless, skinless chicken breast.
Okra is a packed with soluble fibre, vitamin K, and antioxidants. It can also be used as a gluten-free thickener in soups and stews!
Recipe courtesy of canolainfo.org, featured in Diabetes Canada’s 2018 Healthy Living Calendar
Cheesy shepherd's pie
A lower fat version of a classic with ground beef and vegetables, topped with creamy and cheesy mashed potatoes.See recipe About Cheesy shepherd's pie
White fish with roast garlic & lentil mash
Mashed lentils make a great bed for tender halibut while fresh herbs and seasoning add zest.See recipe About White fish with roast garlic & lentil mash
This is a quick, easy and healthy version of the traditional East Indian dish!See recipe About Chicken biryani