An excellent meatless main dish
A healthy and filling burger that's bound to please vegetarians and meat-eaters too. This burger has a lot of flavour, without a lot of calories. Most of the fat in this recipe comes from tahini, a sesame seed paste. Like other nuts and seeds, tahini is a healthy type of fat.
Prepare burgers early in the day and refrigerate until ready to cook. Prepare sauce up to a day ahead.
- 2 cups (500 mL) drained canned chick peas
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped green onions
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- ¼ cup (50 mL) finely chopped carrots
- ¼ cup (50 mL) bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tahini (pureed sesame seeds)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (50 mL) light sour cream
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tahini
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) minced garlic
- Put chick peas, green onions, coriander, carrots, bread crumbs, lemon juice, water, tahini, garlic and black pepper in food processor; pulse on and off until finely chopped. With wet hands, form 8 round patties.
- In small bowl, whisk together sour cream, tahini, coriander, water, lemon juice and garlic.
- In a nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of oil over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook for 3½ minutes or until golden; turn and cook 3½ minutes longer or until golden and hot inside. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil and cook remaining patties. Serve alone with sesame sauce or serve in a pita or bun. (Nutrition information does not include pita or bun)
To accommodate different preferences, you can substitute coriander with dill or parsley and substitute tahini with peanut butter.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Complete Canadian Diabetes Cookbook, Katherine E. Younker, Robert Rose Inc., 2005
Moroccan eggplant & tomato
Loaded with flavour, this dish can be served as the main or as a side to your main - so versatile!See recipe About Moroccan eggplant & tomato
Kale, beet & chickpea power bowls
Get energized with this power bowl. The dressing also makes for a great dip!See recipe About Kale, beet & chickpea power bowls
Crispy chickpeas & pumpkin seeds with lime
These make a tasty and healthy snack, or they can be tossed onto soups or green salads to add some crunch.See recipe About Crispy chickpeas & pumpkin seeds with lime