- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- ½ tsp (2 mL) almond extract
- 2 ½ cups (625 mL) peeled, thinly sliced yellow Delicious apples (about 2-3 apples)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) soft margarine 1 tbsp (15 mL) apricot jam, heated and strained
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F/ (190°C).
- Prepare a 10- or 11-inch (25- or 28-cm) tart pan with removable bottom by spraying with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough in tart pan and press into sides of the pan. (Keep remainder covered with a damp towel to prevent drying.) Spray sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray. Top with second sheet and spray again. Repeat with third sheet. Tuck edges of phyllo into sides of the tart pan so that crust is somewhat even with top of the tart pan.
- Sprinkle sugar evenly over phyllo. In a small bowl, mix together honey and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and the honey mixture. Spoon over phyllo, spreading apple slices evenly in tart pan. Dot apples with 1 tsp (5 mL) dollops of margarine.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden.
- Brush top of tart with apricot jam.
- Allow to cool; sprinkle with sliced almonds just before serving.
A serving of a typical fruit pie can supply more than 50 grams of carbohydrate. But by using phyllo dough rather than a traditional pastry crust, you no longer have to forgo a nice portion of a fruit pastry.
A recipe curtesy of Rosie Schwartz.
Whole wheat biscuits
This great whole wheat biscuit adds fibre, and is great served warm to accentuate their delicate texture. Add some herbs for a different flavour.See recipe About Whole wheat biscuits
Walnut & flax carrot cookies
Part cookie and part muffin, these soft cookies contain walnuts and ground flaxseed that provide fibre and, along with the canola oil, healthy fats.See recipe About Walnut & flax carrot cookies
Crustless apple & roasted fennel quiche
Fennel offers a sweet and mellow flavour that complements the apples beautifully in this easy breakfast or brunch dish.See recipe About Crustless apple & roasted fennel quiche