Your gift of securities is a cost-effective opportunity to transform an asset into immediate and significant support for Diabetes Canada. You can donate your publicly traded securities or mutual funds in life and through your estate. Directly donating securities to Diabetes Canada avoids the capital gains tax and maximizes the return on your investment. This may provide a greater benefit to you than donating in other ways.
- You eliminate the capital gains tax that has accumulated on the securities.
- You receive a charitable tax receipt for your donation and have the satisfaction of seeing the impact your gift has made.
- You may choose to donate a portion of your stock and retain the remainder for personal use.
- You can donate the securities immediately or as part of your estate planning.
- Contact your financial advisor to decide which investments make the most financial and philanthropic impact.
- Ask your broker to transfer your securities to Diabetes Canada’s broker by completing the securities Transfer of Securities form.
- Diabetes Canada will sell the stock and receive the current value.
- You will receive a tax receipt for the full closing value of the stock on the day Diabetes Canada receives them without having to pay any capital gain.
Note: This information is general and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal and/or financial planning advice. Diabetes Canada encourages all donors who are planning a significant gift to consult with their family and seek independent legal and/or financial planning advice.
For more information:
Kate Hicks Senior Manager, Planned Giving 1-800-BANTING, ext. 5577 or 416-408-5577 email@example.com