Diabetes medications, devices and supplies are important for people with diabetes to effectively self-manage their disease.
Across the country, Diabetes Canada advocates to governments for fair and affordable access to essential supports on behalf of people living with diabetes and their caregivers.
As part of our advocacy efforts, Diabetes Canada includes patient feedback in submissions to federal and provincial drug review bodies, including the Common Drug Review, BC PharmaCare and the Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) Program.
First, the Common Drug Review evaluates the drug and then a committee makes recommendations on what drugs should be covered by provincial and territorial drug plans, excluding Quebec. Provincial and territorial drug plans then review each manufacturer’s request to fund its drug and make the final funding decision. They base these decisions on their committees’ recommendations, the government’s budget for drug programs, and what is in the public interest. This is how Diabetes Canada's advocacy efforts can have a real-world impact.
Diabetes Canada actively seeks feedback on diabetes drugs under review, to ensure that people with diabetes and their caregivers are taken into consideration in the drug review processes. This work is possible through the generous support of our volunteers and donors. We are always in need of more advocates and policy influencers.
Submissions into medication and technology reviews are based on survey responses from people living with diabetes and their caregivers. The responses are analyzed, summarized and submitted to drug reviewers using standardized templates.
Please note: Diabetes Canada does not endorse or recommend any particular drug for the management of type 2 diabetes.
British Columbia Drug Review Process
Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH) Common Drug Review (CDR)
Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH) Therapeutic Review
- Quality Standards for Diabetes in Pregnancy Submission
- Quality Standards for Type 1 Diabetes Submission
- Quality Standards for Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes Submission
- Device Submission
- Drug Nomenclature Submission
- Therapeutics Initiative Letter
- Pan-Canadian Biosimilars Consultation Submission
- Submission on the Flash Glucose Monitoring System Technology Review
- Flash Glucose Monitoring System Implementation Advice Report Submission
- Submission on Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Systems for People with Type 1 Diabetes Technology Review
- Submission on Optimal Use Recommendations for Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Systems for People with Type 1
- Submission of Patient Evidence Freestyle Libre 2 (FSL2) Flash Glucose Monitoring System (Ontario)
- Quality Standards for Transitions From Youth to Adult Health Care Services
- CADTH Proposed Framework for a Potential Pan-Canadian Formulary Stakeholder Consultation
Know Your Rights
Learn about the rights of Canadians living with diabetes.Learn More About Know Your Rights
Read about the research Diabetes Canada is funding as part of our advocacy efforts.What We Fund About Research Funding
Progress In Research
Learn about the research progress Diabetes Canada researchers have achieved.See the progress About Progress In Research