Each year, Diabetes Canada relies on volunteers like you to help us carry on our work.
By volunteering, you are making a direct impact on people living with diabetes in your community. We appreciate your commitment and thank you for your time and effort.
Here are a few tips to help you as you visit your neighbors!
A smile goes a long way
When meeting a prospective donor, always smile, be polite and make sure to introduce yourself. Be ready to give a short explanation of Diabetes Canada and the importance of our work.
Time to canvass
The best time to canvass is in the evenings between 5:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m., as well as on Saturdays and Sundays. Plot out your route in advance so you can cover your area in the most time-efficient manner. If nobody is home, take note of the address and be sure to call back later. This generally increases donations by 40 per cent. Canvassing isn’t just limited to your route. Don’t forget to also approach friends, family and colleagues at work or create an online fundraiser with our my fundraiser tool.
What to say
“Hi, I’m visiting our neighborhood today and helping Diabetes Canada as a volunteer. I’d like to ask if you would like to join the fight against diabetes by making a donation today?“
If someone says…
Yes, I’d like to donate but how much should I donate?
No, thanks. I’ve recently donated to Diabetes Canada.
- A donation of any amount is welcome. Tax receipts are issued for donations of $15 or more.
- Thank you very much for your support. If you’d like to consider another donation in the future, I’ll leave your one of our brochures. ( you can give them a copy of our leave behind brochure)
I don’t have any money on me.
I don’t have the time right now
- I’d be happy to accept a personal cheque or you can make a donation online if you prefer (you can give them a copy of our leave behind brochure if they would prefer to send their gift by mail)
- Is there a good time for me to come back? (you can give them a copy of our leave behind brochure if they prefer to send a gift by mail or donate online)
I am already a monthly donor to Diabetes Canada.
- Thank you so much for your support!