Theme #1: Cardiovascular Risk Assessment and Reduction
The CPG Tool Kit for the Prevention and Management of Diabetes in Canada is a handy reference for healthcare professionals which bundles a comprehensive collection of the six major themes from the 2008 Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Prevention and Management of Diabetes in Canada—diabetes and cardiovascular disease; footcare; organization of care, pregnancy and children; lifestyle and physical activity; and access to and promotion of educational services.
The first of these themes—Cardiovascular Risk Assessment and Reduction—focuses on key elements from the 2008 Guidelines regarding cardiovascular risk factors and recommendations for reducing cardiovascular risk. Heart disease is currently the number one cause of death for Canadians living with diabetes. As such, the information included in this first instalment of the CPG Tool Kit emphasizes the importance of early diagnosis and management of diabetes and its associated cardiovascular risk factors.
Released in June 2009, the Cardiovascular Risk Assessment and Reduction theme, contains a number of current, evidence-based clinical recommendations and clinically-oriented practical information about diabetes and cardiovascular risks of value to both patients and physicians, including:
- a short synopsis of the key information on cardiovascular risk from the Canadian Diabetes Association 2008 Clinical Practice Guidelines;
- a clinical tool (laminated two-sided card) with an algorithm to assist healthcare professionals with risk assessment, vascular protection, and screening; and
- a patient-focused tool to help Canadians living with diabetes better understand the risks of cardiovascular disease.
Also, healthcare professionals will learn:
- the major changes to the vascular protection recommendations from the 2003 Clinical Practice Guidelines;
- how to identify individuals at high risk of vascular events;
- how to reduce the risk of cardiovascular events; and
- what coronary artery disease screening tests should be done.
To order copies of the CPG Tool Kit, please visit our online order desk.
Cardiovascular disease and diabetes – a quick reference of selected key points on prevention and management of diabetes from the Canadian Diabetes Association 2008 Clinical Practice Guidelines.
La maladie cardiovasculaire et le diabète
The Canadian Journal of Diabetes - subscribe today!