Volunteer extraordinaire Nel Peach of Salmon Arm, BC, was diagnosed with diabetes in 1983. That diagnosis has lead to a wonderful journey that she would not have imagined possible at the time.
This busy 71-year-old is currently the regional chair for the Interior BC Region of the Canadian Diabetes Association. Nel has also been a regular guest of EZ Rock’s Patrick Ryley show promoting the Association’s Diabetes Summer Surge campaign for the past two years. She also recently finished a series of Medtronic-sponsored speaking engagements for the Association across the province and has completed four international and six national marathons since 2004 for Team Diabetes.
Here is just a snapshot of Nel’s involvement with the Association:
- Regional Inspiration Award 2010
- On of the top 10 fundraisers for Diabetes Summer Surge 2009 and 2010
- Fundraising more than $35,000 for Team Diabetes since 2003
- Recipient of the 25-year Regional Service Award (BC Interior) in 2009
- Recipient of the National Volunteer Award in 2008
- Decorated her home with blue lights for World Diabetes Day since 2008!