Type 1 diabetes: the basics
Type 1 diabetes is a disease in which the pancreas does not produce any insulin. Insulin is a hormone that helps your body to control the level of glucose (sugar) in your blood. Without insulin, glucose builds up in your blood instead of being used for energy. Your body produces glucose and also gets glucose from foods like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, milk and fruit.
Download printable version
- Managing Your Blood Glucose
- Physical activity and diabetes
- Just the basics (Tips for Healthy Eating)
- Cholesterol and diabetes
- High blood pressure and diabetes
- Smoking and diabetes
- Foot care: a step toward good health
- Staying Healthy with diabetes.